Monday, July 21, 2008

Up the Punks Up The Punks Up The Punx

So the Ghost Mice show in my basement last night went great. About 25-30 people tops, half of which I didn't meet until that night. I nervously debuted Jack's Smirking Revenge, and thankfully my friends and everyone else there, including the bands, were all really nice and supportive. The fact that Heather from Ghost Mice was sitting in front of me bobbing around brought a smile to face, not to mention the applause and cheers (jeers?) from everyone. I don't think I thanked anyone for that, and I left out some songs that I meant to play, I was so hot, sweaty and nervous that I completely forgot I had other songs to play. My favorite moment was when I got everyone to clap along to Nausea. I wish I at least recorded that song, I know someone who would have appreciated hearing it. Oh well here was my setlist at least:

Sounds Like A Good Album Title
After All, Who Needs Courage When You Have...A Gun?
I Never Once Saw God Playing Skeeball
Alright Alright, If It'll Make You Happy, I'll Overthrow Society
Nausea (Not the Band)
Boxcar (Jawbreaker)



Heathers started almost immediately and without warning, and everyone who hadn't heard them before (I only had heard their songs on myspace) were blown away by how fucking good they were. Great at harmonizing, write a good pop hook, and, to quote half of my friends, irresistibly cute. If I had they $5 , I would have gotten their cd, but I can always order it from Plan-It-X later on.


Ghost Mice started playing, after a short break so everyone could escape the hot basement for a bit. Since there were some people there who went to the Denver show the previous night, Chris promised that they would try not to play songs they already played. So we got treated to some songs they apparently don't typically play, plus two new songs (!). Despite having to constantly yell at two of my roommate's friends to shut up and not be assholes while the band was playing or trying to talk to the audience, everything went great, and everyone had a lot of fun.

Setlist: (out of order, and from what I can remember)


The Moon Will Rise
Monsters Get Slain
Sing Out
Lightning Bolt
Song For Tomorrow
Spain (?)
Boy Meets Girl
New Song 1

Gone Gone Gone
The Devil and My Family
Free Pizza For Life
Up The Punks
The Good Life



After packing up, and talking with anyone who wanted to talk, the bands, another dude whose name escapes me, and I went to Cosmo's to get pizza, and that was fun time, listening to Ellie and Louise's stories from Ireland, Chris and Hannah's stories from Gainesville and Bloomington, and trying to say Tomato in a myriad of different silly ways. I bid goodbye to everyone when were all going to bed, as they were leaving early in the morning for Kansas. Hannah said not to be a stranger anytime I was in Bloomington, and the girls said the same if I was ever in Dublin. Hopefully it won't be long till I see those wonderful people again. Also thanks to Hannah for leaving her breadsticks for me to eat for breakfast this morning

No comments: