Monday, July 28, 2008

I Don't Wanna Be A Pinhead No More


I experienced my first (and most likely last) Pinhead Circus show last night. The late, great band decided to play a one-off reunion show at the Marquis Theater, and I thankfully, was already in Denver. I had only heard a few songs by them prior, but according to my friends, they were the greatest band to come from Colorado. Thankfully Rancid was playing in Denver as well that night, so it was mostly an older crowd, which worked out great for me. Seeing as the rest of my friends in attendance were over 21, I managed to score a bunch of free drinks, and so by the time Pinhead took the stage, I was in a good place. What I experienced was one of the funnest shows I've ever been to. The crowd wasn't full of douchebags, and thus, said douchebags didn't crowd the pit. It just really sucked that I had never gotten into the band before the show, which would have made the experience that much better. From what I heard, the set was great, full of raw and honest melodic punk rock, and according to my friends, it was probably one of the best sets they've heard them play. Every so often, the band would take a jab at Rancid and The Offspring (who were also playing a different show that night), and telling the crowd they were awesome for supporting their local assholes rather than millionaire gutter punks. So that was pretty funny.
After the show, we bummed around LoDo for a bit before heading home, and were nearly killed by a drunk driver on the highway. Thankfully we were unscathed except for a shattered headlight and increased adrenaline. I finally ended my night arriving home at 5am with the sun slowly creeping over the plains.

In other news, I finally saw The Dark Night today, and it totally fucking kicked ass.

No comments: