Monday, June 2, 2008

Walking Is Still Honest

So I drove my best friend's car back to her house after borrowing it for the weekend. I then made the 45 minute walk back to my house. Thank god it was a nice day, and not too hot. I was surprised at how long it took, considering its a 5 minute drive, and I'm notorious for walking way too fast. I would have taken my brother's bike, but it was rusted to the point of uselessness, and my bike is on the other side of the country. So I walked, and it was great. Its interesting to think about how dependent on driving I am whenever I come back to New Jersey. Back in Boulder, I can bike/walk/ride the bus (or a combination of the latter two) practically anywhere in town, and even down to Denver. To make matters worse, I've never had my own car, and thus have to drive my family's Suburban. In high school my girlfriend lived 5 minutes away, and I always drove to her house in a giant 8 passenger SUV, rather than simply riding a bike. In retrospect, it was incredibly stupid of me. I was probably still in the mindset of "bike's are uncool and I have to much dignity to be seen riding around on one" Hell my HS was a mile or so down the street, and I never once biked there. Now of course, my mindset has changed and I love riding my bike. But in NJ Im a slave to the gas guzzler, and Eatontown's public transportation is more or less useless unless I'm going up and down the main street. We who live in Boulder are privileged to have such an extensive bus and bike path system in our town. One of the few things the yuppies did right.

So here's a playlist not for driving a car to.


1. The Measure [SA]-Hit the Ground Running
-from Off With Their Heads split 7" (2007)
2. Bomb the Music Industry!-Bike Test 123
-from the album Get Warmer (2007)
3. Bad Religion-A Walk
-from the album The Grey Race (1996)
4. 7 Seconds-Walk Together, Rock Together
-from the album Walk Together, Rock Together (1985)
5. Operation Ivy-One of These Days
-from the album Energy (1988)
6. Big D and the Kids Table-Shining On
-from the album Strictly Rude (2007)
7. Defiance, Ohio-Bikes and Bridges
-from the album Share What Ya Got (2004)
8. The Clash-Walking the Slidewalk
-from album The Vanilla Tapes (1979)
9. This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb-Murder Bike
-from the album Dance Party With...(2001)
10. Andrew Jackson Jihad-You Don't Want To Fuck With Me
-from the album Candy Cigarettes and Capguns (2005?)
11. Johnny Cash-I Walk the Line
-from the album With His Hot and Blue Guitar (1957)
12. Against Me!-Walking Is Still Honest
-from the EP Crime As Forgiven By...(2001)

No comments: