Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Brief Yet Triumphant Post

So Tom Gabel released a new Against Me! demo song called "Graceful Confession." And as I have come to expect from him, its beautiful and honest. Leave it to him to write another song I can instantly relate to, and wish was my own. here is the song and the lyrics:

Graceful Confession

Your talent outshines all that I could ever do or say
and me and my jealousy, I stole your songs and passed them off as my own
As much as I would like for it not to show
you can smell the stink on my breath and in my clothes, it's so obvious
oh if I could only be half the things you write about in your songs
if I could only mean half as much to anyone

and in my arrogance I write pages of anger hate and spite
all of the reasons I have to trust... absolutely no one
today I heard you on my stereo and it shamed me,
yes it shamed me to think that I could be so unoriginal
oh if I could only be half the genius that you are
to feel such honest want, to show love
I would show you love
I would show you love
I would show you love
oh if I could only feel half as resolute in my beliefs,
if I could only sing with such bravery
I can not explain how much you mean to me
without your words, I would be lost.


fuck, that pretty much sums up how I feel about Against Me! I mean, they were the reason I decided to learn how to play guitar and write my own songs, even if I only ever played their songs to my friends. The countless times we have sung along to "Baby, I'm An Anarchist" or "Pints of Guinness Make You Strong," and me wishing I could write a song that would burst the whole room into chorus. No matter how often I learn to play other songs or write my own, I always go back to playing Against Me!'s songs or attempting to learn each new song that comes out.

So thank you, Tom Gabel and the rest of Against Me! for creating such awesome fucking music and being a constant source of inspiration to me, from the first time I heard the Crime EP out of my shitty stereo with one working speaker, to this second right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dont ever forget who taught you everything you know about basic chords :)