Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Oh Hello, I Didn't See You Come In

Welp, I guess its time to start this thing back up again! In the month-long hiatus a lot of stuff has happened in the music (that I like) world. I don't want to take up too much space, I'll be brief.


1) Ron Asheton of the Stooges died January 6th (lame)

Fun House and Raw Power are fucking amazing albums, and Asheton's guitar furious guitar playing, I'd argue, is the primary reason for that. yeah yeah Iggy is cool and all, but seriously, Ron can shred. He gave punk the hair on its balls, and that's that. shut it. RIP Ron, the first three albums combined are enough to forgive you guys for The Weirdness (shudder).

2) Lux Interior of the Cramps died almost exactly a month later (Feb. 4th, equally lame)
I honestly thought he died years ago, considering his persona and antics. Nevertheless, it is a bummer that he died. He was one of the greatest frontmen in punk for one of the greatest bands in punk. All the pseudo-psychobilly bands on Hellcat Records are in incredible debt to bands The Cramps. Hopefully he's entertaining mental patients in hell now.

Dear god, next thing you know, Mick Jones or Wayne Kramer might die (please don't)

3) Propagandhi's new album leaked yesterday(ohh fuck yeah)
this is the most recent news, and the most fucking exciting for me. I really liked Potemkin City Limits, don't get me wrong, but it seemed a little forced, and at times not them memorable...(but the good songs on it are some of the best they've ever written). Upon first listen, its definitely better than its predecessor. The opening track rips your fucking face off immediately, and they just keep fucking going. The addition of their second guitarist into the band has allowed them to develop their newer sound into regions beyond. This shit is on par with Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes. Once the record is sitting in my hands, I'll be able to judge it more thoroughly.

4) 10-4 Eleanor played at my house (almost bad, but turned out great!)

This show almost turned out to be disaster. Another band was supposed to play, but they dropped out without telling me, leaving us without a PA or a sizeable audience. After some scrambling and lots of apologizing, we managed to wrangle a PA from a friend up the street and the show, despite the tiny audience, went great. The boys play some top notch "orgcore" and its always a pleasure to see them. They also get kudo's points for their new EP, Words Cannot Express How Much Fuck This Band, which was packed in a giant 5 1/2" floppy disk casing.

5) Renegades played their last show at the house with The Masters of Suspicion and Goochie Boys (fucking insanity!)


All three of these bands brought a large crowd to my house. The last time I saw it that crowded for a show was for O Pioneers!!! in September. I opened up with a few new songs to my 5-6 fans in the room, and then let tMoS take the floor. My good friends played the best I've ever seen them. They've dramatically cut down the set to about 10 songs, dropping the covers (although we did coax them into playing "1000 More Fools" and "No Scrubs") and a few of the weaker songs. The crowd that didn't come from them even got into it! The Goochie Boys/Goochie Punx (whatever their actual name is) were a last minute addition and I had no idea what to expect. Turns out they fucking rule! They played very much 60's inspired garage rock/surf/trash and it was incredibly fun. RNGDS packed the house and turned my basement into the sweatiest dance floor ever. Fantastic last show, fantastic night in general.


-TSOL came out with a new album (hmmm...)


I haven't listened to this yet, but I can't imagine its anything groundbreaking or exciting. I'll just listen to Dance With Me and Beneath the Shadows instead.

-The Marked Men came out with a new album (sweet)

Great stuff really, but upon my first couple listens, it doesn't really sound much different then everything else they've put out. Still fun to listen to, and I bet they're killer live.

-I discovered how awesome Leonard Cohen is (awesome)
I think that really sums it up. Songs of Leonard Cohen is a tremendous album, and I need more!

-and of course my computer decided to stop recognizing my external hard drive, and I fear I've lost everything on it (super fucking lame)

I really don't know why it decided to stroke out on me, but it didn't and I can't fucking figure it out. Most of my music is backed up on cd, or I actually own it, but alot of my bootlegs I hadn't gotten around to burning yet. Same goes for my TV shows (all of South Park, Futurama, It's Always Sunny, and Spaced) and a few episodes of Mystery Science Theater. Hopefully everything works out, or I'm gonna be pissed.

that's all I can remember at this point...so till next time

No comments: