Sunday, December 14, 2008

Blag?

School has been kicking my ass lately, and I've been neglecting this thing. I'm incredibly happy this semester is over, despite liking most of my classes, I just need a break to do nothing for a while and reboot my system. Right now I'm suppose to be writing a paper on Indian revolutionaries that is due Tuesday, but of course I got distracted. Maybe record my new songs on better equipment. I've been wanting to play some shows outside my house for a while, but just haven't had the time. Last night we had a fancy smancy wine and cheese party last night, and I got drunk enough to play a few songs. That was pretty fun, even my aborted "Holland, 1945" cover that I forgot the chords too...oh well.

Speaking of shows, the awesome Jon Crocker played a show at my house last week after a last minute email. It had been snowing all day, so we ended up only playing for a crowd consisting of my roommates and my bandmates. The thermostat was also broken that night, turning my house into a sauna. so that was fun. He's a fantastic musician, and his cd "The Dust Will Settle" made it into my top ten list this year (take that Street Dogs!). I look foward to seeing him if he comes through again. Pictures will be posted later

what else what else....

I just recently discovered the illustrious Frank Turner, whose name I had been hearing for a while, but I had never checked out music. Turns out he is phenomenal. This song "Substitute" from his new album "Love, Ire & Song" particularly stood out to me.

The first girl that I fell for was a fair and faithful fighter
She smouldered with a will to save the world
I did my best to help her, yeah I stood shoulder to shoulder
On the front lines with my visionary girl

I wish that she had cared for me
But in the end her ideologies
Occupied the fortress of her heart
I wrote her 15 songs, but still we had to part

And if music was the food of love
Then I'd be a fat romantic slob
Well music, it's my substitute for love

The last girl that I loved she was a low and lusty liar
She set my heart on fire, but made me choke
Her beauty was a sight to see, but she didn't save it all for me
I found other fires by following the smoke

I wish that she had either cared for me or
let be me
But she chased me from mind and from my home
I wrote her 16 songs, but I ended up alone

And if love is really all that we need
Then even all my singing is never gonna save me
Music it's my substitute for love

Well I've had many different girls inside my bed
But only one or two inside my head
These days I cuddle up to my guitar instead
But oh, what I would give, not to stumble but to really fall in love
And I could substitute my singing for the sound of someone sleeping next to me


word up Frank Turner.

Also, in glorious holiday tradition, the giant glowing red pentagram is back on our roof after 2.5 hours of nailing, stretching, and high mathematical calculations. This year we went with the inverted model. Hail Satan! pics to come soon!

My next post will be an epic "Best of 08!" sort of deal.

No comments: